LittleMy

LittleMy Reads

Another GR refugee looking for a new home. Testing the waters here before settling in...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon
Steve Sheinkin
The Great Hunt
Robert Jordan
The Darkness Dwellers (Kiki Strike, #3)
Kirsten Miller
1Q84
Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin, Philip Gabriel, Allison Hiroto, Marc Vietor, Mark Boyett
Origami X - Nick Robinson Orgiami X alternates spy-themed origami with panels that give advice on how to be a spy. The print version of the book has 10 pages of really cool spy-themed Origami paper that my 11 year old really coveted.The Origami:My son is a moderately experienced origami maker. Origami instructions can sometimes be difficult to follow -- the instruction in this book were of average difficulty. There were a couple of folds that took him several tries to figure out (he found the camera especially tricky). The rest of the projects were pretty straightforward and he did them with only one try. He was happy with the final models; he especially liked the "Secret File". The Spy Hints:These were really well written -- my son loved them. The book included the morse code alphabet and information on how to create a wide variety of ciphers and codes. The book also included instructions for how to make clever spy gadgets like a periscope. My son and I both really liked the spy bits of this book. This would be a great non-fiction accompaniment to fiction titles such as:Kiki Strike (series) by Kirsten MillerMysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee StewartAlex Rider (series) by Anthony HorowitzThe Secret Series (series) by Pseudonymous BoschOrigami X is most appropriate for 3-6th graders. Younger kids would need an adult's help to follow the folding instructions.